Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Truck

I thought I should tell you a little about how all this came about. Last August my son Brandon and I had to fly back and forth to Pensacola FL and drive to Omaha NE from here in South Dakota. Brandon new I had been looking for a new vehicle for almost a year with out finding much that I liked either for the fuel efficiency or the ability to load stuff in it for my shows. Brandon said I should by a diesel pickup and run it on vegetable oil.

I am sure you can figure my first reaction but the more he told me the more he convinced me. I started looking things up on the Internet and reading everything I could get my hands on and I became convinced he had a good idea. Well we of course had to convince Jeff my husband because his first reaction was why would we want to do that? But the more research we showed him the easier that was.

Then came the deciding on which system and which truck. Brandon wanted to do it from scratch and I wanted it to be done in less than a year so I choose a kit. I choose the
Dino Fuel Alternatives kit which is specifically designed for the Ford Powerstrokes. The hard part came in finding a truck. I did not want the big crew cab but wanted a long bed. I also wanted a 2 wheel drive which you should hear the salesmen fuss about. (And having Jeff stick it in the mud in the alley makes me think they might have been right but I would never have gone down the alley when it was wet.) I finally found a truck and bought it the beginning of January. Then ordered my kit and a 108 gallon axillary fuel tank.

It took a while for all the parts and pieces to line up and all the while we have been collecting oil from a couple of local restaurants. You have seen the oil filtering set up in the next few days I will try to fill you in on the install of the conversion kit.

1 comment:

zooman said...

Tanya, that truck doesn't look green to me,ha ha!